CESERE - Environmental and Community Sustainability Research
Centre for Community and Environmental Sustainability and Security Research and Education CESERE focuses on contemporary and novel emerging issues related to sustainable, secure, empowered and environmentally responsible communities and protection of environment.
CESERE Research Focus
The scope of CESERE is applied research, development and innovation activities in the field of natural and social sciences and technology.
We perform environmental research and analysis of its societal aspects y using combined systems view and modelling of situations, interactions and trends. CESERE carries out projects and studies related to sustainability and environmental awareness. To ensure the practical output of research and disseminate environmental awareness, we engage communities and NGOs, develop and conduct environmental education programs, and conduct seminars and practical outdoor activities in the nature.
Key Research Areas
Our key research areas and approaches to support communities and environmental sustainability are:
- Environmental research and analysis
- Ecological footprint analysis
- Modelling and analysis of ecosystem services, their impact to environmental sustainability and perception by communities
- Environmental awareness and sustainable behaviour of communities
- Environmental security, food security and energy security studies
- Analysis of social cohesion and empowerment of communities, modelling of societal aspects and cultural heritage issues
Selected List of Current and Previous Projects
The previous and current research projects of our team and network members have been focused either on specific aspects of the domain or on integration activities. Some of the most recent existing and previous research and projects, related to various aspects of sustainability and security, are listed hereunder.
Carbon sequestration solutions to meet the European Union’s climate goals (2023-2027). Role: analysis of possible solutions and scenarios, environmental monitoring, synthesis of results.
Environmental protection and reducing environmental impact through green technologies (2022-2023). Role: responsible executor of the project, development of the study program, assembly of study materials, conducting trainings.
Study of the resilience of communities and their organisations (2023). Role: coordination and conducting the study, analysis and synthesis of results.
Development project on analysis and improvement of community resilience and sustainability (2023). Role: elaboration and conducting of survey, performing risk and sustainability analysis, trainings and seminars.
Study of the environmental footprint and opportunities to reduce it. Role: field analysis, development of model and self-assessment tool, synthesis of results.
Analysis and elaboration of a model for ensuring the security aspects of buildings and related societal aspects.
Determination, analysis and design of capabilities, situation assessment and situation awareness in heterogeneous systems including sensor fusion, UAVs and counter-UAV focus together with societal and security and safety issues.
Environmental awareness study programs (since 2019). Role: elaboration of study programs and curricula on environmental awareness and community sustainability, conducting the programs.
Our team and network members have participated and participating in 50+ international and national projects. The project programmes included, but not limited to EU Horizon 2020 and FP7 frameworks and European Defence Agency projects.
Activities Related to Projects and Development
The previous and current research projects of our team and network members have been focused either on specific aspects of the domain or on integration activities. Some of the existing and previous research and projects are related to:
- Modelling and analysis of environmental and carbon footprint of domains, agencies and organisations.
- Environmental and socio-economic analyses for environmental and community projects.
- Collecting and analysis of user requirements in social real-time, cyber-physical and sociotechnical systems related to communities’ sustainability, safety and security.
- Determination, analysis and design of capabilities, situation assessment and situation awareness in heterogeneous systems.
- Analysis and improvement of information exchange, knowledge management and devising corresponding decision making systems in heterogeneous organisations in different societal domains and communities.
- Analysis of trends, simulation of probable scenarios and prognosticating short and medium-time horizon.
- Modelling of teams, organisations and communities and their behaviour with a multi-agent approach and modelling of possible emergent behaviour.
- Developing and conducting study programs, seminars and workshops related to environmental sustainability and responsibility.
- Engaging communities and target groups, conducting practical experiments and analysing the behavioural change on environmental aspects.
Integrated Research Methodology
In order to capture essential characteristics of processes and actors and the dynamics of behaviour, an original integrated approach is used for capturing essential process flows, timing criteria of processes together with interactions and freedom of choice from multi-actor viewpoint. The methodology includes modelling and simulation of processes, scenarios and interactions.
Such models provide more precision and trustworthiness in understanding environmental and societal phenomena and prognosticating possible outcomes and alternative scenarios.
Cooperation on Research, Development and Innovation
We offer high level professional activities and expertise in R&D projects to research and understand various phenomena and trends. The focus is on communities, environment and society and to development respective solutions. Members of our team hold respective PhD and MSc degrees and have previous recognised experience and results on similar projects.
Besides ongoing activities we are open for discussions with potential new partners and consortia. We are interested in novel RDI projects in community research, technology usage, sustainability, security and resilience. We can support research by collecting user needs and requirements, developing and conducting surveys, analysis, simulation, modelling and training of the environmental and societal sustainability, security and wellbeing aspects.
In a project, we can also join a larger research team or consortia to complement the research with specific aspects. Those can be, for example, analyses related to societal, modelling and simulation aspects. The activities can be also related to engaging of communities and conducting practical environmental activities, if necessary.
We are happy to discuss the possible participation topics by e-mail email@example.com or by phone +372 5918 9000.
Project Writing, Seminars and Training at CESERE
We also offer training and seminars. The focus is in environmental, community and societal relationships and sustainability. The areas also include situation awareness, knowledge management, project management and project writing and financing.
Based on our experience, we can offer support in writing of Horizon Europe and other national and international projects.
More information about trainings is provided on the page Training and seminars